Digital media, new tools and technology
Learn to use new tools and tech to help you report effectively, no matter the medium, with this two-day course.
Gone are the days of working on a single platform as a journalist. These days everything lives online, and almost everything can be done on a mobile device. Let technology do the heavy lifting for you, so that you can concentrate on the most important thing: the story. Download apps that will change your (working) life. Learn how to create visual journalism like infographics, social media cards and data visualisations with just a few clicks – no coding required. Craft engaging short videos and audiograms to promo your work across platforms. Use social media tools to aggregate information and alert you to breaking or developing news stories.
By the end of this course you’ll be able to:
- Use free, effective apps and online tools to improve your reporting
- Create engaging pieces of visual journalism
- Edit sound and video on your mobile device
- Make short videos and audiograms
- Harness the power of social media to surface and aggregate news
- Identify key pieces of tech that will help you take your digital reporting to the next level
- Understand how artificial intelligence is changing the way newsrooms work
Duration: Two days
Location: Johannesburg or online
Group size: 3-10 participants
How it works: This course can either be run as a block course (two consecutive days) or one day of training weekly over two weeks.
Nala Academy prides itself on offering the best, by the best. We provide a range of online and in-person courses for journalists, editors and content producers. Our training is dynamic, contemporary and practical – with course content that evolves as quickly as the industry does.
Our core training team includes some of the most recognised names in media in Africa who have built, led and worked for some of the biggest media brands on the continent. We also bring in prominent global journalists and communicators as guest trainers.
To sign up for this course or enquire about our other offerings, get in touch.