Radio newsroom leadership and management
Learn to effectively manage, mentor and grow your radio news team in this two-day workshop.
Today more than ever, newsrooms need strong and decisive leadership. But the skills that make you an excellent journalist don’t necessarily make you a good leader. A good radio newsroom manager is like the captain of a vast, complex ship. To keep it sailing in the right direction, you need to stay on top of things. From diary meetings and production schedules to breaking news and audience development, learn to help your team sail the choppy waters to success. Learn from highly respected news leaders how to embrace change and help your team do its best work. Understand your own leadership style and how you can effectively manage your staff.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Build a news diary that sets the agenda
- Use a production schedule to stay on top of your resources
- Make considered editorial decisions, even under extreme pressure
- Plan and execute special coverage
- Build a feedback culture in your newsroom
- Develop workflows that streamline the newsroom’s day-to-day running
- Understand your audience and ensuring your team keeps them top of mind
- Navigate breaking and developing news scenarios
- Train, mentor and develop your team
- Create seamless, smart staff rostering
- Measure and manage performance
- Better navigate and resolve conflicts
Duration: Two days
Location: Johannesburg or online
Group size: 3-10 participants
How it works: This course can either be run as a block course (two consecutive days) or one day of training weekly over two weeks.
Nala Academy prides itself on offering the best, by the best. We provide a range of online and in-person courses for journalists, editors and content producers. Our training is dynamic, contemporary and practical – with course content that evolves as quickly as the industry does.
Our core training team includes some of the most recognised names in media in Africa who have built, led and worked for some of the biggest media brands on the continent. We also bring in prominent global journalists and communicators as guest trainers.
To sign up for this course or enquire about our other offerings, get in touch.