Learn to produce gripping radio shows that keep your listener glued to the speaker
You’re only ever as good as your last radio show, but how do you ensure each show is better than the last? When it all comes together on air, it’s thanks to meticulous behind-the-scenes work. Like every orchestra needs a conductor, every radio team needs a highly focused producer to keep them marching to the same beat. During this practical two-day course, you’ll learn how to perform a wide range of tasks essential to audio content production. Plan your broadcasts effectively, tell better stories and use your news gut to identify unique ideas. You’ll also develop equally essential soft skills around communication, teamwork, decision-making and organisation, which will prepare you to deal with challenging situations that come with the job.
By the end of this course you’ll be able to:
- Operate with a clear understanding of your role and responsibilities
- Develop a relationship with your audience
- Generate and pitch ideas to keep your show growing and evolving
- Conduct research and pre-interviews to develop original content
- Develop a show rundown and write links that work
- Identify new talent (potential contributors and interviewees with a fresh voice)
- Formulate interview requests and professionally handle guests
- Manage personalities and show dynamics
- Facilitate team meetings for planning and debriefing purposes
- Develop a forward planning calendar
- Apply the 6-second rule when call-screening
- Understand the basics of music rights, licensing and royalties
Duration: Two days
Location: Johannesburg or online
Group size: 3-10 participants
How it works: This course can either be run as a block course (two consecutive days) or one day of training weekly over two weeks.
Nala Academy prides itself on offering the best, by the best. We provide a range of online and in-person courses for journalists, editors and content producers. Our training is dynamic, contemporary and practical – with course content that evolves as quickly as the industry does.
Our core training team includes some of the most recognised names in media in Africa who have built, led and worked for some of the biggest media brands on the continent. We also bring in prominent global journalists and communicators as guest trainers.
To sign up for this course or enquire about our other offerings, get in touch.